Tuesday, May 11, 2010

50%, plus1 rule

This may come as a surprise to some people, but I actually consider myself a moderate. I say that because my thoughts often don't divide nicely down the party lines. If forced to choose about fiscal issues, I generally side with the GOP. If forced to choose about social issues, I often side with the Democrats.
I guess ultimately, the polarization of the 2-party system is frustrating me. While I definitely see the positives in it, I also see the negatives.
Here is what I would like to see (in my own little world):
A true third-party viability...even if it only existed long enough to scare the doo-doo out of the 2 parties that currently enjoy their strangle-hold on the average american. It seems that both sides are out to strangle...they just do it with noticable different grips.
As I've said before, I believe that most opinions, if graphed, display as a bell-curve. There are outlyers to the far right and to the far left, but the majority of Americans fall somewhere in the middle. I believe that it is time to elect candidates who represent the views of those in the middle...the "average american"...instead of the ideologies of the outlyers.
I truly, TRULY believe that most americans (minimum of 50%, plus 1) could come to a compromise on a vast majority of political issues if things like lobbyists and religious pressures were removed. Unfortunately, politicians often feel more pressured by special interest groups than they do by the voters, themselves.
When did compromise become a bad word? We do it every day in our work and family lives. We understand that it is necessary for survival. yet, when it comes to politics our country takes a maverick, "all or nothing and take no captives" attitude. I believe that there is something GROSSLY wrong with politics when a bill can pass senate or house negotiations and the voting is straight down party lines. This tells me that party politics are more important than people.
While I understand that some issues are divisive and will never reach a consensus due to personal liberties and religious beliefs (abortion comes to mind). I believe that it is possible to find common ground among MOST people that reside within the middle section of the bell-curve. And isn't that what democracy is really all about? I believe in democracy. I also believe that there are compromises out there:
1. Abortion. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) could live with the following compromise:
Keep abortion legal in cases of rape, incest, fetal genetic problems, and a medical situations affecting the life of the mother. But, not allowing abortion to be used on-demand, as in birth control. instead, provide prevalaint options.
Yes, some "pro-choicers" will balk at it and, yes, some "pro-lifers" will balk at it. BUT, I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) could live with it as a compromise.
2. Healthcare. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) could have lived with a reform bill on healthcare that provided subsidies for lower incomes without changing the system for those who are happy with their healthcare. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) would have been satisfied to see these subsidies back-charged to the insurance companies in "forced risk pools." (like is done with auto insurance) This would have seen a huge number of people insured, with the least disruption. A compromise that would help many, without changing the system for all, billed to those that make the profits.
3. Immigration. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) would support a program that helps people to become legal, making it dependendent upon becoming a productive, working citizen (and consumer, btw) within a reasonable time-frame.
4. Welfare. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) would support a welfare scale-back that puts some accountability on the recipient (drug testing, a time-frame to become independent of the system, perhaps a sliding payment scale that helps those that help themselves by supplementing income for those that take any job they can find, at any salary).
5. Fiscal Responsibility. I believe that most americans (50%, plus 1) would support a scale-back in government spending by hiring indepenedent consultants to find waste and fraud. Only pay the consultants a percent of the money they save.

Am I wrong? Or am I in the 50%, plus 1?

4 comments:

  1. I think you're on the right track in most places, but I have a feeling your abortion comprimise would not fly with the Left-most 50% of the nation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt...thanks for the comment...and after several nasty emails, I think I agree....

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Abortion is terminating a potential life. To me, it is something that should be done only in cases where the mother's physical health is in jeopardy. However, people's bodies are their own. They have the right to do what they want with them. That freedom is far more important than any one life, potential or existing. Roe v Wade was the right ruling, even if I don't like it.

    I believe in a similar concept regarding illegal drug use. We don't prosecute people for using illegal drugs. We prosecute people for their behaviors when illegal drugs are involved. While there is little social value to drug use, the freedom to exercise control over one's own body trumps any other consideration.

    2. One of my chief complaints about the health care reform was that insurance companies provide a service to people choosing to safeguard their own pocketbooks in case of a medical necessity. That is their sole purpose for existing. For the government to force the insurance companies to grant coverage to people with pre-existing conditions is a gross warping of the free market. It's telling a business that they have to engage in business practices with people that will be detrimental to their very existence. How absurd is that?

    3. Immigration isn't a hot button issue. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the United States' pathway to citizenship. Illegal immigration from Mexico is the hot topic we're dancing around. First and foremost, there should be no path to citizenship for anyone that has already proven complete disregard for federal, state, and local laws. Tightening the border with Mexico should be the main focus in addressing this problem. That is the federal government's responsibility. The States have an obligation to use methods, within the limits of the Constitution, to punish businesses and people who are guilty of breaking the laws of those States. That's all there is to it. Every person, including illegal aliens, are equal under the laws of the United States and the several States.

    4. I agree with you completely on this one.

    5. Yep, agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valek: Because I enjoy playing devil' sadvocate, I shall put on my right-wing hat: the issue with abortion is that the two sides are sitting on different poles. While a woman should have a right to do anything with her body that she chooses, the pro-life side will argue that that baby is NOT her body. And I see their point. If gestation is 40 weeks, and a woman delivers at 30 weeks, should she have the right to kill it for, up to, another 10 weeks? what's the difference, other than WHERE the baby is currently residing? If a woman chooses to perform that act that leads to pregnancy...then the outcome is not a choice, it is an effect OF choice...and a known effect. the choice then, is one of responsibility for one's actions.
    My body, my choice? If you choose to ball up your fist and kill another human being, you can't argue that it was your body and your choice...because it affects someone else. If nothing else, the playing field needs to be consistant. If I ball up my fist and hit a pregnant woman in the stomach and she miscarries, take a wild guess at what I'm charged with? Legal Abortion? my fist, my choice doesn't fly. I'm charged with manslaughter. And further than that, if we are going to REALLY be pro-choice, then I have serious issue witht the way child support is dealt with. If I knock someone up and I want her to get an abortion, then why do I have to pay child support? It is 100% her choice to keep it or kill it. had she chosen to kill it, I had no voice in the matter...
    *loves playing devil's advocate* and myabe believed a little bit of everything he said...LOL

    ReplyDelete